Aggies’ Outside Shooting Propels Them Past Lady Tigers

Sunday, Jan. 27-

Texas A&M entered Sunday afternoon’s game against Missouri with an undefeated record when facing teams outside of the top ten. It was clear early that the Aggies had no intention of letting that record die at the hands of the Tigers. Kelsey Bone and her squad captured a quick 8-0 lead and never looked back, eventually defeating the Tigers quite handily, 77-58.

Given the Lady Tigers’ success from beyond the arc this season (10.5 three’s per game at home), Mizzou players and fans alike knew that the accuracy of the deep ball would be crucial, especially with the Bone’s presence in the paint.

Like clockwork, three-pointers were going in from all parts of the court, but for the visiting team. The Tigers shot a mere 28.6 percent from three-point range, while Texas A&M could not miss from downtown.

Bone drew the defense’s attention inside, freeing up senior guard Adrienne Pratcher to get into an unstoppable rhythm from behind the arc. Pratcher netted six threes by the end of the day, totaling a career-high.

However, the surprise of the day came from guard Peyton Little, a freshman coming off the bench for the Aggies. Little was 5-for-8 from three-point range and finished with 17 points. At the end of the day, Texas A&M knocked down 63.2 perecent of its three-point shots.

Morgan Eye and Liene Priede led the way for the Tigers from long range, combining for 5-11 from long range. Unfortunately for the Tigers, the rest of the team was just 1-10.

Rebounding was a similar story. The Tigers were out-rebounded 35-25, resulting in their first game all season in which they grabbed less than 30 boards. Much of that was due to the tenacious play inside from Bone, who snagged 10 rebounds to go with her 16 points.

All factors considered the Tigers struggled from start to finish. Not only were they unable to shut down Bone inside, but they also caught Texas A&M’s shooters on exactly the wrong day.

Mizzou managed to rally from its early deficit, cutting the lead to 10-9 with 13:08 to go in the first half, but the game would never be that close again. The shots began to fall for the Aggies and at halftime, the game appeared to be decided, as A&M owned a commanding 48-20 lead.

The Tigers’ final opportunity came with 11:29 left in the game, when a spurt of quick ball movement and easy layups was followed by a Priede three-pointer, cutting the lead to 15. However, it was too little too late, as the Aggies stretched the lead back out to twenty and ended the game with a 19-point spread.

The Tigers seek to rebound quickly when they face the Florida Gators at 7 p.m. Thursday in Columbia.

-Witt Wells
23 Sports
Staff Writer