Gavin Curless, 23 Sports

It was a clash of undefeated teams as the 3-0 Missouri Tigers welcomed the 3-0 Georgia Bulldogs to Columbia on Saturday in a game that could prove to be crucial in the SEC east race. A back and forth contest filled with with big momentum swings, the Bulldogs were too much for Barry Odom’s crew in the end, emerging with a 43-29 victory.

The Bulldogs struck first, with Tyson Campbell recovering a fumble by Albert Okwuegbunam and taking it to the house. The Tigers responded with a rushing touchdown by Larry Rountree to tie it up. The Georgia Bulldogs then scored again with a pair of field goals by kicker Rodrigo Blankenship. Then, a Missouri punt was blocked by Eric Stokes. who returned it eight yards to make it 20-7 Georgia at halftime.

Georgia scored first in the second half on a 33 yard touchdown pass from Jake Fromm to Riley Ridley. Damarea Crockett responded with a rushing touchdown of his own, making the score 27-14. Georgia didn’t wait around to respond however, with Jeremiah Hollman slipping away from Demarkus Acy and scoring a touchdown of his own. There was controversy, however, over whether or not Hollman took the ball all the way to the house. In multiple video angles, it looked like he might’ve dropped the ball before reaching the end zone, but the refs let the call stand, so Georgia kept the touchdown. The bulldogs could not get the 2 point conversion, however, making the score 33-14. Mizzou made sure to keep the game close by getting Tyler Badie into the end zone and succeeding on the 2 point conversion, making the score 33-22. Georgia then opened the 4th quarter with a 54 yard touchdown from Fromm to Mecole Hardman, putting the Bulldogs up heavily at 40-22. Drew Lock, however, was having none of that, as he ran in a touchdown himself from 11 yards out, making it 40-29 Georgia. Mizzou then thwarted the Bulldog’s plans to spread out the score by blocking their next field goal attempt. Unfortunately for the Tigers, Mizzou couldn’t take advantage of the next scoring opportunity they had, as they failed to convert on 4th down. Georgia then put up one last field goal, making the score 43-29. The Tigers tried to spark a comeback, but it was too little too late, as the Missouri Tigers fell to the No. 2 Georgia Bulldogs 43-29.

This game went much better than many Tiger fans expected. It could’ve easily turned into a blowout, but every time the Bulldogs seemed close to pulling away Mizzou responded with a solid drive. This game never felt too close, but the tigers were on the bulldogs’ doorstep. It might be time to take this team seriously. Without a few mistakes and some questionable officiating, the Missouri Tigers could’ve just beaten the No. 2 team in the country.