Webster Groves takes home state title in blowout victory

Mitchell Soell, 23 Sports Reporter

Webster Groves players and coaches hugged each other, waiting for the final seconds to tick off the clock. The two stars of the Statesmen, junior guard Courtney Ramey and junior center Cartre’Are Gordon, embraced and jumped for joy as tears streamed down their face. And as the buzzer sounded, the sight of Ramey running across the court was the perfect finale for fans looking on from the stands at Mizzou Arena.

Ramey ended the game with 25 points, 11 rebounds and four assists; eight of his points from the free throw line. Gordon ended with a perfect percentage from the field, making all eight of the shots he attempted.

The first quarter was all Webster Groves, as they were led by Ramey and Gordon both offensively and defensively. Ramey had eight of the team’s 20 points, while Gordon had two key blocks that turned into four fast break points for Webster Groves.

Lee’s Summit West struggled to put points on the board as the Titans only had 10 points at the end of the first quarter.

The second quarter was a little more evenly paced. Senior forward Elijah Childs of Lee’s Summit West started to make an impact after being held back due to foul trouble in the first quarter.

However, it was the Statesmen’s bench that kept the large lead. Sophomore guard Ray Adams hit two key 3-pointers off the bench that extended the lead for Webster Groves. Webster Groves was up at halftime, leading the Titans 37-24.

Come second half, it was total domination for Webster Groves. The Statesmen outscored the Titans 33-11 in the second half. Ramey and Gordon could not be stopped.

As the game was closing down, Webster Groves sent in shifts of bench players, giving all 14 players the opportunity to step onto the court to play in the state title game. Webster Groves rushed the court as the buzzer sounded.

“A coach’s dream is to be able to play their best game on the last game of the season and our guys were absolutely sensational tonight,” Statesmen coach Jay Blossom said. Webster Groves did not back down to their competition at any point in the game, and had confidence throughout the whole 32 minutes.